Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day, February 2011

There's a lot of "almost!" in the MulchMaid's garden this February 15th, and a few out-and-out actual bloomers. First up this month, the ones that are trying harder.

Ribes sanguinium is nearly there and already showing gorgeous color.

Mahonia aquifolium has never been this late (not) to bloom. Although blossom trusses are forming, it's holding on fast to winter.

The big fat buds of our inherited Camellia japonica will be a few more weeks at least.

And now for the few that are actually in bloom this month.

Daphne odora 'marginata' smells intoxicating.

This young Arctostaphylos x 'Austin Griffiths' is blooming! I felt awful after killing my three-year-old Austin Griffiths last year by moving it, so I'm thrilled to see this baby plant has made it safely through winter.


Grevilla juniperina 'Low Red' is off to a running start on 2011 blooming. The firecracker blooms on this plant lasted an amazing eight months last year. These blooms are small, but they're spunky!

Sarcococca hookeriana var. 'Humilis' is perfuming the front of our home with its pungent scent. Although the intensity of the smell is a bit too much for some, it apparently attracts certain nectar feeders.

This big moth (who wouldn't hold still long enough for a clear shot) was intent on covering every flower he (she?) could find. I'm delighted to know I'm supporting the local insect life, as long as it manages to stay outside!

Visit Carol at May Dreams Garden to enjoy blossoms all over the nation and the world. Happy Bloom Day!

13 comments:

  1. Those are some lovely blooms - how I wish d. odorata were hardy here - the scent is unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some very pretty blooms there! There is a lot of almost in my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see your photos from relatively balmy OR. Loved the moth on the sarcococca--I will have to watch mine more closely. Also the daphne, mine were killed by falling pine branches last winter. I'm replanting. I am in snow-covered Pennsylvania, but the temperature suddenly shot up and I managed to find some flowers outside. Happy GBBD, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good looking bunch of blooms Jane, I am so happy to see your Grevilla alive and blooming! I was out yesterday examining every inch of mine trying to find a bursting bud but no luck, they are all in the "almost" category.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, Jane. The Daphne odora is such a great perfumer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I had to see what zone you are in! Lovely blooms for bloom day. That daphne odora is quite beautiful...also I LOVE the name of your blog. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to know that Sarcoccoca is a moth plant. Love those cute furry Sphinx moths!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small and spunky rings my bell...now if I could just manage to keep a Grevilla alive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad I found your blog. I'm in Zone 8, Puget Sound WA. I also have a Mahonia, but mine has already flowered. It's grown quite a bit over this last season. I also have quite a few of Sarcococca. I personally LOVE the scent. It is quite strong. I cut a stem of blooming flowers and hung them in my car and Whoa! It was a little to strong for the enclosed car. I snipped a couple more and put them in the house, now that was awesome! Glad to have found your blog today and look forward to watching your garden grow! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I'm the gal whose Martha's Vineyard renovation appeared on Retro Renovation awhile ago - you asked about the rug I had in the front living room, under the rocker. I didn't forget, but have yet to find a NAME for the carpet. But I did find the receipt from Home Depot with the SKU# - hope this helps! It's 577-423. Let me know if this guides you to the right carpet, and if not, I can easily take this with me the next time I go to Home Depot to ID the name for you!

    Best,
    Kate Meleney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty photo shots of your blooms. Thanks
    Cher
    Goldenray Yorkies

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Jane! You won my drawing! Now if you will send me your address, I will pop your prize in the mail. You can email me at ricklet@wildblue.net
    or maybe better yet we could meet for coffee at Ristretto Roasters and I can hand it over in person. Your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a lot going on right now, lucky you! I absolutely adore Ribes, so many people in our neighborhood have them and they are glorious to behold in springtime. I can't quite give up the space to a Daphne...but my neighbor across the street has a few and I get to enjoy their fragrance every time I walk by..."intoxicating" is just about right ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you in advance for jumping through the annoying but necessary word verification hoop to leave your thoughts!